Eames LCW Chair, USA ca. 1960.
This iconic Eames LCW chair comes in birch laminated plywood. Charles and Ray Eames designed the chair 1945-46, manufactured by Evans / Herman Miller.
The seat rests on two U-shaped plywood base pieces, each forming a pair of legs. Furthermore, a so called “lumbar support” attaches the seat to the back. The lumbar support copies the curving of the human spine. The Eameses used shock rubber discs, called shock mounts, to attach the back and seat to the lumbar support and base. These made the chair more flexible and comfortable. It was the first time that a responsive back rest was used in the history of chair design.
Ray and Charles Eames were married 1941 and their joint career lasted for more than 40 years. They created some of the most influential and innovative furniture designs of the 20th century. Additionally, the post-war America created an increasingly affluent and design-conscious society. This was the perfect platform for their innovative designs and use of materials.
In 1946 the Metropolitan Museum of Art organized an exhibition “New Furniture Designed by Charles Eames” featuring prototypes of the couples plywood pieces. The LCW caught the eye of Herman Miller, who bought the license to manufacture the chair. Thereafter, the chair was produced from 1946 until 1947 by Evans Molded Plywood of Venice Beach, California for the Herman Miller furniture company in Zeeland, Michigan. In 1947 Herman Miller moved the production of the chairs to Michigan.
Details about this chair
The chair is in good original condition with a nice patina and the to expected wear and tear. The chair measures H 28.75 in. x W 19.3 in. x D 20.87 inches (H 73.03 cm x W 49.03 cm x D 53.01 cm) and has a seat height of 17.33 inches.
Please contact us by e-mail, call us or chat with us on the site for any further questions. Learn more about the history of chairs in our blog.
There are no reviews yet.